Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Father's Day

Awoke this Father's Day to a house full of cuties, and man that's just the topping for a great week (or couple weeks, even). Bashed through my 100 mile goal for 120 total miles after a really awesome Saturday morning ride with friends out to Elmwood and back. I've missed the mopac, and I've missed long rides - the average speed definitely showed that, ouch. Gotta work up in that respect but it's good to know I have 36 miles in my legs and it doesn't really even phase me.. even if it's at a turtle pace. I'll just channel my inner Mountain Turtle.

Next week I'm going to shoot for 150 miles, and more smiles. Should be pretty easy after what I did this week and a good number to go for every week. I'm not training for anything, I'm riding my bike. I'm not trying to lose lots of weight, I'm just riding my bike. I'm not commuting to save the world, I'm commuting to ride my bike. See a common theme there? Riding my bike is simple, it's pleasure, it's amazing - and it's extended into other parts of my life. Just check out my office makeover that made my favorite geeky blog, Lifehacker.com:

http://lifehacker.com/5566309/the-efficient-office-a-workflow-makeover

Riding is simple, it's amazing, it's what life should be about. Using what God gave us to live and provide for ourselves. I surrounded myself with too much "stuff", too much clutter, too little effort. Now I have one bike, two legs, and it all just comes together. Will I get another bike? Sure, and it'll probably be from Fargo. For now I'm just focusing on what I have, as Dave Ramsey would put it - "gazelle intensity".

Who knows what will happen, I got started a bit late this year due to a comedy of errors and failures, but I'm happy with where I'm at. And that, right there, is what it's all about.